Saturday, November 12, 2011

Gardening fail

On the left, bok choy, on the right sweet peas

A closer look at the rows of peas

On the left, some cilantro and basil, on the right tomatoes
So, you might say to yourself.... "FAIL?  That doesn't look like a fail!"  Well, I admit the truth- *I* failed completely as the gardener.  I would forget to go out there to water.  I didn't even know how often I should be watering.  I wasn't using enough or the right kind of fertilizer.  And ultimately, I just didn't care enough.

So why is the garden full of beautiful plants?  Because of our guard.  When we went away for October break, I asked him to look after the garden while we were gone.  He not only took on looking after it, but he cleaned up the beds, planted more plants and basically, made the whole thing thrive.  Everything would be dead if it had been left up to me.

So... I don't know... maybe I need to face the fact that I am more of a farmer's market girl.  Even back in the old days, I would have been the school teacher, or the local doula or something and people would have paid me in food- and that is how I would have stayed fed.  Cause this gardening thing- just doesn't seem to come naturally to me.  But thankfully, the guard, he's into it.  I'm going to pick some of that bok choy soon- I think it's looking ready to eat.  And I'll make sure to tell him he can help himself to what he's growing as well.  If he clears it all out, he deserves it!

1 comment:

Liene said...

Oh M, I had to laugh! Not at your gardening, but at the fact that I've also had a total gardening fail this year! I guess I'll have to write about it one of these days. Enjoy your yield!