Sunday, October 30, 2011

Stylish Blogger Award!


Liene over at Femme au Foyer awarded me with the Stylish Blogger Award for my parenting style!  What an honor!  Thanks, Liene!

Now, I've never thought of myself as stylish (in any way!), and I feel like I'm still fairly new to this parenting thing, but, I'll let you know what has gotten me where I am... My seven points of parenting style!

1. Parenting style has got to come down, first and foremost, to doing what feels right, and doing it with confidence.  I don't know where I got this confidence- maybe it grew out of wanting to be a mother for such a long time.  Whatever it was that built my confidence to mother, I have to credit said confidence with giving me any style I might have!

2. Beyond confidence there are some tools that lend to my style of parenting.  One of my favorite parenting tools, which helps keep my kid close, helps my kid experience the world from a nicer perspective, and keeps my hands free to get stuff done while still being close to my kid- it's the Ergo!  We got our Ergo as a hand me down, so we didn't have the choice in color (ours is black and maroon)- but ooooh....if I did... they have some lovely colors and patterns out now!  Go check it out! :)

3. A big part of my parenting style is about keeping my kid close- during the day and night.  Beni sleeps in a toddler bed next to our bed these days at the beginning of the night, and ends up in our bed at some point.  To keep your kid close at night, I highly recommend, first off all, getting a kind sized bed (yes, for real!), and also, maybe a co-sleeper.  We had the Original Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper when Beni was tiny.  I'll admit I wasn't actually that good about using it, because I liked her to be *right* next to me... but if you can't see yourself having your kid in your bed- get a co-sleeper.

4. A major reason to keep your kid close day and night?  To make breastfeeding easier!  For me, breastfeeding is far more than a way to feed my child- it is a parenting choice.  It is a promise to my child that I will be there for her, that I will offer her comfort, that she can count on me- that she can indeed depend on me- for nourishment, for love, for safety.  I was lucky enough to have an amazingly easy time of breastfeeding (still am!), and didn't need many props or aides.  But, a good nursing bra (Bravado Body Silk Seamless is my fave!) and some reusable nursing pads (Bamboobies are far more absorbent and invisible under clothes than any other pad I tried!) are great things to have!

5. An absolutely invaluable part of my parenting style (and probably something that contributes to my confidence) is surrounding myself with a supportive community.  I do this online (especially considering living abroad!), in person and through books.  Online I have joined several message boards, places where I can ask for help, offer help, and share stories of parenting in general.  In person, I have gone to La Leche League meetings (click the link, find a meeting near you!) and to a local natural birth/natural parenting group in my home town.  Through books I have found my greatest source of support, like-mindedness and good information in the Dr. Sears Library.  The Baby Book was my first Dr. Sears book, and where I fell in love.  The Vaccine Book gave me insight and helped me make informed decisions about which vaccines to get and when.  The Discipline Book and The Baby Sleep Book are helping me through some rough spots along the way.  Parenting can be a tough gig, and having people you can turn to to ask for help goes a long way- whether it is in person, online or in a book.

6.  I would not be able to do what I do, any of it, without the support of my husband.  We don't always agree on parenting paths- though we usually agree on the goal.  But, more often than not, he supports the choices I make, and walks along with me on whatever path I've chosen- even when it doesn't seem like the easiest way to go.

7.  The last piece of my parenting style can be none other than love.  I try in every decision I make, to keep love at the center of it.  When my 18 mos old is throwing a tantrum, or not sleeping, or not eating, or climbing on me for the 10th time in 10 minutes, I try (and honestly don't always succeed, I'm only human) to keep love in sight.  I try to remember that she is a little person, trying to find her way in a big world that can be scary, intimidating, and confusing.  When she's taken a seat on my last nerve, I try to pull back, turn some love on myself, and remember, that I too am only a person, not always able to stay in control.  When it feels like she needs more of me than I can give, or when I just don't know if I have what she needs.... I try to remember love.  Because in the end, at the heart of it all, love is probably what will get us through.                

Now... in the spirit of love... I pass on the Stylish Blogger Award to just one blogger whose style I admire!

Mook at Hello Latvia has got style (not just parenting, but like, for real).  I admire her strong sense of style, which is obvious and constant in her clothes, her home, her writing.  Here's to you, Mook!
 

1 comment:

Mook said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Thanks, sis ;)