Saturday, October 29, 2011

October Break, part 1

OK, I know this is long overdue, and the truth is, I just don't have that much energy to put into doing these posts any justice.  So they will be mostly pictures.  

I will tell you- driving a few hours north in Lao was interesting.  I guess I'm just too used to good roads.  The roads between here and there were basically like the roads all over Vientiane- at times drive-able, at times, you feel like you might as well be off-roading.  I had to drive the whole way because there is no other way to do this drive other than a very jerky, start stop, go, go, slow down, brake hard for hidden potholes, etc... I get car sick, and it's especially the stop-start thing that gets me.  There was no hope for me on this ride, unless I was behind the wheel.  On the way home, Joel and I decided that our car would be just fine for a road trip "back home", but it is not cut out to road trip in Lao.  I can't even tell you how many times we bottomed out the car, how many times the shocks, or suspension, or whatever it is that is supposed to keep your ride smooth slammed loudly against itself, and seriously left me wondering if, like in a cartoon, our tires weren't just going to go rolling off in every direction.  But we made it, in one piece, without any issues- well, except a leaking air conditioner and a wet purse, but we handled that! 

Our first stop was a resort on a lake.  It's a new place, only open about 6 months.  This was evident in how nice and new the little bungalows were.  It was also evident in a few things that seemed just a touch lacking.  But, overall, it was a wonderful, peaceful, quiet place to be.  We enjoyed three days and nights seriously just chilling out.  It was good.   

So here is the story in pictures.  Enjoy! 

The view from our balcony.  Can't complain.  The terrain around Vientiane is very flat,
but we were sort of in the mountains where we were.  It was beautiful! 

More beautiful landscape

One of the big draws of this place was that they offered water sports including
jet-skis, wake boarding behind the jet-ski, and kite surfing.  This is a view of the town
from the jet-ski.  Joel and I took a sunset cruise around the lake that was very nice!

It was like a tropical Venice... 

The Blue Lagoon resort (where we stayed)

On the right is the restaurant/bar, and eating areas, on the left the bungalows

View of our bungalow from eating area.  

Gorgeous girl had a lovely time.  

The only complaint- the resort sits between the village and a main port the locals use.
This means lots of local boats went by in front of the resort every day- and they have VERY loud motors.
So loud the bungalows would vibrate and the babies would cry.  The resort is planning on fixing this. 

The eating area and dock from our balcony. 

See those shades in the distance.  That was the resort's beach.  It was ok.  Only problem?
No access to the water!  The beach had a wall of rocks surrounding it, which pretty much
dropped off within a few feet.  Worst part for us?  No easy water access for water babies!

Joel was in heaven getting to go wake boarding a couple times a day! 

My BIL and SIL going for a cruise on the jet-ski

The water was ok... except as I said, no area with a clean/sandy bottom.  I went in
once, and then got attacked by a tree/roots, and because we watch too many
cop shows, I was sure the tree would also be a dead body, and it cut me, so that was enough
for me.  Beni went swimming a couple times though, which was ok, because Joel held her the whole time. :) 

So, that is it!  That was the best of our three days there!  

The worst was the breakfast.  The resort (owned and run by French guys) only had a local cook who knew how to cook eggs one way- overcooked, fried in deep oil, with lots of salt.  As someone who likes to eat a big breakfast (and likes my eggs slightly under-cooked), I struggled for three days.  They did have a few other good dishes for lunch and dinner, even veggie dishes which made me happy....but even so, after three days, I was feeling rough.  The worst part I guess was that the resort was on an island in the middle of the lake, so there was no other option other than to eat the food they served.  But, at least I could eat.  So really, it was ok.  Except I also spent a lot of time in the bathroom, so maybe it wasn't so ok.  Eh....next time we go, we'll bring more snacks. :)    

No comments: