Saturday, July 30, 2011

First days in Lao...

We've spent a couple days here now, and so far.... 

I love it! 

We're living with my brother and sister in law and their 4 mos old baby right now.  We'll start the search for our own house soon.  It's lovely to be here with them though- getting to know the baby, catching up with them, having built in guides and friends. It's good.  

Luckily all of our baggage and shipping has made it to us, so we are certainly looking forward to getting into our own place and fully unpacking and creating our home...but, for now, it's really lovely to feel quite at home right here.  

My brother and sister in law (BIL and SIL)'s house is right on the Mekong river, so it provides a very lovely view- beautiful sunsets and what not over the river.  The funny thing however, is that just across the river is Thailand!  So even though they live in Laos, the view from their balcony is Thailand!  I find that amusing.  It's certainly not the first time I've seen a border like that between two countries, but, it's the first time I've seen one from someone's back yard. 

We've had two fairly short and painless days of orientation to the city/country/culture.  We've learned how to meet and greet, how to introduce ourselves and be polite.  The Lao people don't shake hands- they bow with hands in what most of us would call hands in a prayer position instead.  We were told that this is what they do, and that only sometimes MEN might shake hands after the "nop" (the bow)- but never women.  So, of course, today, I met a local guy at school and as soon as Joel said, "This is my wife..." I start extending my hand just as he is performing the nop.  D'oh! He graciously shook my hand, and I felt silly... some habits are hard to break!  

We also learned counting numbers, how to give directions and basic questions for shopping.  I was very happy to learn the phrase, "Koi gin je" which means "I eat vegetarian."   It feels good to be able to utter a few basic phrases out in public- even if it is just to say thank you (kop chai!).  

The day we arrived was beautiful, although it is the rainy season right now.   The weather remained nice for about 24 hours, and then on our second afternoon, rain clouds rolled in, the temps dropped and it started pouring.  Apparently there is a storm over Vietnam, which is pushing much more rain than usual our way. It has literally been POURING, coming down sideways at times, for over 24 hours.  It has been constant and unrelenting- but cozy.  Getting out and about in rain like this isn't the nicest thing- a lot of streets are flooded.  I really feel for all the people still trying to get around on mopeds (which is a lot of people!).  But mostly the rain isn't bothering us... the occasional thunder and lightening brings a little variety, and apparently once this big storm passes, we should return to most sunny days with heavy rains at night.  We were told during orientation that last school year in the spring, there was a period of more than 100 consecutive days when temps were over 100F/37C every day- and many of those days temps reached as high as 110F/43C!  That shall be interesting.  Thankfully, we will be equipped with air conditioning, so, while it might not be pleasant, but we will be able to weather such temps. 

Food wise so far I've had a number of super delicious, simple stir-fried veggie dishes.  They were extra lovely because they were full of beautiful Asian mushrooms and greens (oh how I have missed thee!).  Beni is living on rice.  I've also had a pad thai (yum!) and papaya salad (spicy and SOOOO good!).  Last night we got take out (very common here) from an expat joint that has a variety of expat faves.  I had falafel, which was not the best falafel I've had, but totally edible.  My BIL had fish and chips, Joel had some kind of Italian-style chicken (chicken, spinach, cheese, red sauce) and my SIL had some kind of meat on a stick. So it's nice to see that we can get great local food as well as decent expat favorites.  I haven't been to a market yet, but am looking forward to that- especially now that I know how to ask, "how much?" and "do you have...?" and "thank you, I'll take 1 kilo of..." :)  My SIL told me the other day that she bought two pineapples for 5,000 kip (the local money).  8,000 kip = $1USD.  Can't beat that!  

Beni is dealing with some pretty unbearable jet lag.  It is getting better, thank goodness.  The first couple of days she wasn't going more than an hour without her alter ego, Psycho Baby, showing up.  Thankfully, last night she slept well, and she had a good nap yesterday afternoon and this morning, so hopefully she'll settle in more soon, and we'll see less of Psycho Baby.  Of course, she is also simply hitting that stage of gaining more and more independence, while being unable to communicate a lot of what she wants- which is hard whether you live at home or abroad! She also hates diaper changes right now, and lets you know by screaming as one might guess she would if she were being stabbed to death.  It ain't pretty!  In general I think she's settling into life in Laos just fine- it's just being 15 mos old that is trying no matter where you are! :)             

So those are my impressions three days in... ah, I can't fail to mention that Vientiane is bursting with beautiful temples, which are full of monks in orange robes.  Because of the rain and jet lag and Psycho Baby, we haven't made it to visit one yet, but, we're definitely looking forward to that.  

So that's it for now....will try to get some pictures up soon! 

4 comments:

Jordan said...

How totally fascinating!! I can't even imagine. Sounds like you have a great set up while you wait for your own place. What type of living quarters will you be on the lookout for? Hope Beni clicks with the time change and returns to her normal self asap!

Mamma M said...

We'll be looking for a house as well. We're not sure if we're going to look for one closer to the school, or out here near my BIL/SIL on the river. But it'll be a house. :)

SD said...

Hello! You have an interesting website. It is nice to visit here.

Suzanne :-) said...

Ack!!! You are making me so excited to go to India in December. Laos sounds so vibrant and rich. What a wonderful place to call home.