Monday, July 11, 2011

Time to go for a run...

It's been almost a solid 3 weeks since I've exercised.  Disappointing considering in May I exercised more days than I did not, and I was feeling really proud of the work I had done.  I had actually gotten to the point where I was sometimes CRAVING going for a run.  And now, 3 weeks.

We're in Latvia now, and I have my running shoes with me, and we've settled into a much calmer routine (not running around like crazy like we were in getting ready to leave the States), and I could go running.

But I'm not.  Why?  Because I'm a weenie.  For as adventurous a life as I lead, I don't seem to have it in me to go out in a part of town I'm not familiar with, that doesn't have particularly good sidewalks and run around for exercise, which is an activity not many engage in here in the first place (at least not outside, not that I have seen!).    Running is supposed to be the easiest sport/exercise for this reason, because it is so available all the time- because all you need is your shoes...but turns out you need at least a little bit of a sense of adventure as well.

I don't know, some people might think me really silly for not mustering up the courage to get out and go.  Especially in a city I once lived in, just a neighborhood I don't know (seriously though, I could get lost here, because I don't know this side of the tracks AT ALL).

Anyway, I think we all have a thing that we get nervous about, that feels too big or scary, especially in a foreign country.  I don't know... maybe you don't.  Do you?

(I just really hope I can get over this in Laos!)  

3 comments:

Dace said...

Interesting, because all I see in my neighbourhood in Riga and in the outskirts (Ādaži) is lots of people jogging. I don't know where you are now but I guess if only you are not in Maskavas forštate you have nothing to fear about. And I hear that even there they've made a brand new promenade along the banks of Daugava... Saņemies! :)

Our Adventures said...

There is a City Fitness in Agenskalns near you guys. They have treadmills. You might want to join up for the time you are here. The gym has a special right now - 17.50Ls a month. You can also do individual visits for separate payments.

diana smaida said...

Bring your running stuff with you to Mezaparks! Beni and I will hang out and this is a great and easy place to go running. :)