Monday, September 5, 2011

Today's market haul


Starting from the front left... 2 zucchini, 1 bag of mushrooms, 1 capsicum/red pepper, 3 carrots, (2nd row) 3 heads of broccoli, 1 BIG bunch of asparagus, 1 very big bunch of bok choy, (3rd row) 2 pineapples, 1 watermelon, 3 mangoes and 1 bunch of tiny little bananas!

Total cost 135,000 kip. At first it seemed like I spent more today than I usually do- specifically on the vegetables.  My SIL wasn't with me today, but, it's not like she negotiates or anything either, so there is no reason for them to try to rip me off when I'm on my own versus her being with me.  I don't know.  In the end though, I calculated that 135,000 kip is still only about $16.50USD.  And really, that's still not a bad haul for only $16.50, right?

Oh, also, I washed the bok choy as soon as I got it home.  Gave it a good thorough rinse without tearing the leaves apart.  Because you know, just in case there were any uninvited guests still hanging around in there...I hope I got them out! :)

2 comments:

Liene said...

What a lovely group of vegetables and fruit. I think it's a pretty good deal because here in the States asparagus goes for anywhere between $2.99 to $3.99 a lb and that looks like it's way more than a lb! And the pineapple's on sale are about $3.99 each. Sometimes you can find them for $2.99. Also the price of bananas lately here has skyrocketed. I couldn't believe when I saw them for over $.70/lb. I had been getting them for somewhere around $.50/lb. My one question is what do you do with bok choy? I know it's used in a lot of Asian cooking and I see in the store. I would love to know how to use it.

FYI, the word I'm getting ready to type in the word verification box is peediva. Just a little snickering worthy.

Mamma M said...

Liene, I ate the bok choy for dinner tonight. My fave way is just to stir fry it with some oil, fresh garlic, soy sauce, and a little sugar. I always rinse it before hand, and then cook right away while it's still wet, so I get some extra liquid from that. It's just lovely just like that. Also, you can just add it into stir-fries that have lots of veggies just at the end (don't over cook it). That said, try to buy BABY bok choy. I find full sized bok choy to be fairly tasteless, and nowhere near as nice as baby bok choy. When I was in Michigan, Walmart always had the big ones, and Meijer always had the baby ones.