Sunday, August 28, 2011

Things are coming together in the house...

Ever since we moved in, (what was that, two weeks ago?) we (and by that I mostly mean Joel) have been spending pretty much all our free time trying to pick up odds and ends we need for the house, as well as spending at least one day on the weekend running around shopping together while Beni hangs out with BIL/SIL.  It's been a bit exhausting, especially for my incredibly hard working husband, who hasn't stopped busting his balls since we got here.  He deserves a huge pat on the back and a break.  Hopefully, after this weekend, he'll get to relax a bit more, because things are starting to come together... See below what a star he is though...

He found a toddler bed for Beni.  The school nurse had this one still at home
from when her son used it 8 years ago.    

(We tried to have the bed against the wall where the door is, completely away from our bed, and Beni wouldn't have anything to do with it.  She's just not ready to be that far away, and I'm more than ok with that!)

He found and installed this curved shower curtain rod. He also bought the power drill needed 
to accomplish this task (of course, I think getting to buy a drill was the fun part!).  


One of the things we picked up together was this shelf for stuff in the bathroom.
It's a little too big (someone with very long legs might have to sit slightly sideways on the toilet, or knock their knees on the shelf, but, obviously, that isn't any of us!), but, it works.  And at least I don't have all my stuff in a cardboard box anymore!
  

(The little table is temporary until we buy a smaller version of this same shelf for that side of the sink.)

We also got a bookshelf for the living room area.  He has used his new drill to hang up all our
art work in various places as well.  We still need to get that black and white picture of Beni (on the top shelf) framed, and then it will get hung up too!


Beni's playroom is fairly complete.  We bought loads of these alphabet tiles to give
 her a softer place to play, and we got her those shelves and the table. 


If you ask me, it's a very sunny, warm room, and happily for us, one we can shut the door to
when we don't want to see all the colorful plastic. :) 


Joel also put some hooks on the wall to hang up all our slings/carriers. 


Finally... my kitchen.  Aaah...my kitchen. :)  When I walked into it this morning, after Joel had woken up, I turned right around and said to him. "Thank you for my fabulous kitchen.  It makes me very, very happy.  THANK YOU."  

The additions you can see in the following picture... in the corner, my new blender, the new microwave and a couple small appliances over, the new coffee maker.  (Blissfully ground-free coffee this morning.  It was wonderful.  French presses are great, except that 1) only cool if you can get coarse ground coffee (or grind your own, but I haven't seen any grinders around) and 2) mornings tend to be busy times, and I only have time to make coffee once, but, in the french press the coffee was always stone cold by the time I got to my second cup.  The coffee maker keeps it nice and hot.  Yes, please!)  
In the foreground obviously you can see my "island".  I showed Joel a butcher block island on the Internet, and he spotted these tables when he was out driving around one day.  They are a little low, so might lead to slight back ache now and then, but otherwise, they are perfect.  Tons of work space and more storage on the shelves underneath.  Between the stove and water cooler you can see we also got a smaller version, as a spot to store the spice/oil/soy sauce rack and a place to put things I need while cooking...  You can also see that Joel put up another set of hooks next to the stove where my aprons and pot holders hang.  


We had two shelves here, but got a third.  Two shelves were not quite enough storage space, three is a little too much, but, obviously, a little too much is better than not quite enough. 


Another shot from the doorway... It may not be a "chef's kitchen" but it certainly is mine, and I'll say it's the best kitchen we've had since we've been together!  I also love how light the kitchen is...this whole house is full of windows, and full of light.  One of my favorite aspects of it! 


We're still working on our "closet" room, an office space for Joel, and the upstairs sitting area.  We'll get to those areas in time, but, I don't think they feel quite as pressing as these other areas have.  A few more shelves, a desk... we should be good soon!

1 comment:

Maracanut said...

It's really coming together! Beautiful :-)