Thursday, August 4, 2011

A few minutes from home

Oh galoshes, how I desire thee!
It stopped raining today!  Not only that, the sun came out! The skies fully cleared and my SIL and I took full advantage to get out of the house and take the kids for a walk.

As you can see, this is a wear-your-baby, not so much a put-your-baby-in-the-stroller, kind of place when going for a walk.  I assume the picture of the road is self-explanatory as to why.

I am not the kind of person who ever really wanted to own galoshes/rain boots.  But since going for two walks here, I am really hankering for a pair!  This road pictured is just the little road off the main road that leads to their house.  It is obviously a dirt road.  The main road near their house is paved.  But that said, it's still full of pot holes and the width of the road generally varies, so it's not the kind of place you'd really feel comfortable pushing a pram along.  For that kind of a walk, I am told we must drive into town and walk along the riverfront.   Sounds good to me.



Fat bottomed girls...
I had to take a picture of this sign to the left- it gave me the impression that there would be a lot of big bottomed ladies taking fat kids for a walk.  I don't know who designed it, but, it doesn't seem to represent the local population much at all.

The city of Vientiane is divided into villages.  Even though you live in the city, you must also know your village name- especially if you take a tuk-tuk. People don't really use street names and there are no addresses I guess, so, you just give your village (could also be subbed for neighborhood, I suppose) and a landmark.




Stupa


Each village has its own temple.  Each temple has monks.  The whole thing is beautiful.   On our walk we passed one temple and walked as far as another.  There I took pictures.
Gate at the entrance to the temple grounds
I don't actually have that much to tell you about the things I took pictures of, because I don't actually know anything much about any of it.

So I will tell you other things while you enjoy the pictures...
Emerald green Buddha
Let me first say that seeing as it stopped raining and the sun came out today OBVIOUSLY I had to get seriously sunburned.  Sigh.  It was so hot when we were getting ready for the walk.  I changed my clothes like three times because I kept sweating through items of clothing.  I ended up in some shorts and a tank top.  I was wearing Beni in the Ergo, which has a strap across my upper back that keeps the shoulder straps in place.  Well, I know have a nice white line across the top of my back with red on both sides.  Silly.  I definitely need to get back into the habit of sunscreen when going out like this here in Laos!

Snakes guarding an entrance
Incredibly ornate buildings
I think I will also just have to get used to the heat here.  It seems to be a different heat than Angola.  I suppose it's more humid- surely it has to be considering how much it rains here!  In any case, I don't remember ever feeling THIS hot when I was in Angola- but maybe that is because we never spent as much time outdoors there as we do here.  Maybe it's because the house is more open, and the air conditioners are not on all the time, so, the house never gets as cool as our apt was in Angola, so I'm much hotter inside than I was in Angola. I don't know.  In any case, I just know that I feel hotter, and like I will have to get used to this heat.  And get used to it we will, because, the rain keeps things relatively cool-ish.  I mean, today was HOT by any measure, but, in general, it hasn't been that hot.  In late October the rains dry up and the dry/cool season starts.  This last until late February.  March and April are the so hot you think you're going to die hot season.  Then, I guess in June and July the hot season eases into the rainy season.... So it's going to get cooler, and then it's going to get hotter.  Whew.
Even fancy ceilings


Not brave enough to photograph the monks, here are their
robes out to dry
Another gorgeous arch
I noticed something quite nice while going for a walk.  The whole time we walked, we were being watched.  This is no surprise.  I was used to it (though sometimes overwhelmed by it) when I lived in Shanghai.  It also happened in Angola.  But there is a difference here-  when they watch you, and you smile at them, they smile back! Hey hey!  Such a little thing, but it makes such a big difference!  Like it's fair enough that you think I'm some kind of freak of nature, or just the most interesting specimen of human you've ever laid eyes on, or the funniest looking one- but it's awesome that you can get beyond that when you see me smile, and return the sentiment.  Even nicer, so far, people have stopped touching BeniOk we haven't actually spent too much time in the street- but no one even touched her today.  We got a lot of smiles, a few waves, even a couple "Hi!"s... but no crossing the line touching.    
This one really appeals to me-
happy and inviting!

More stupas...I think they are also graves
or gravestones
In any case, as we drove around town we saw a bit more of the local flavor.  As we got out of the area where we've been, we saw a lot more animals on the road.  We saw goats and cows, and there are LOADS of dogs everywhere!  There are so many dogs that you have to avoid them in the street when driving.  Kind of annoying.  But, also, you see a lot of chickens all over everywhere... on our way home we see them every day... as you'll see in one of the last pictures...what I would really call free range chickens!
Thank goodness I put a hat on that child! 

Vientiane is really a small town, but, it's got a lot of little twists and turns and frankly, for now, I have no idea about how to find my bearings.  There is a small part of one road where I know where I am, and which direction home is.  I think I could get from home to school now- we've done it a couple times.  The prospect of having to drive here is a bit daunting.  I like driving in cities and countries where driving is mostly orderly.  Although traffic is not crazy per se here- there just aren't enough cars on the road to make it that crazy- there are no real rules of the road.  Driving is gently aggressive if that makes sense... there is this one left turn where to execute the turn, you just have to keep pulling in front of on-coming traffic to get them to slow down and let you turn.  Of course you kind of have to time it with when there aren't that many cars coming from the other way.  It's not orderly for sure.  So, it'll be a push out of my comfort zone, but, I think I can do it.   That said, the ugly car we thought we were going to get didn't do so well at the mechanics, so we're back in the car search now.  Now that the ugly car is not an option, my husband is rethinking making me learn to drive a stick in this city, in this traffic, on these roads.  I'm not going to say no to an automatic, though I would like to learn to drive a stick, just to know how... but, maybe these roads are not the best place for it.  I'm not going to argue!
A shot of the main road that leads into town
and all the way into downtown

Now I shall stop, and I shall turn away from this horrendous formatting and pretend that it is not awful.  I don't know what happened, and I'm sorry it's so ugly.  Maybe I will try to fix something again before I post, but, if you've read this far and thought to yourself several times, "Holy mother of horrible layout!" then blame blogger and know that I am super frustrated, because the more I try to work with the pictures and put them where I want them, the more they do things exactly opposite. Blah!  I apologize if it is hard to read!




(More than anything I do not understand why some of my pictures are covering some words, and there is nothing, NOTHING I can do about it!!!  This is what I get for including pictures in my posts!)




 
On our way back down the lane...
that's called free range chicken!

2 comments:

Maracanut said...

I love that sign too! Maybe they're just people with big, flowing clothes on? LOL

I'm not sure why your pictures are coming out on top of your text, but this little tutorial might be able to help you control where you want to put your text in relation to your pictures (specifically the place-holder code) http://blogger-hints-and-tips.blogspot.com/2011/01/putting-text-and-pictures-side-by-side.html

Also, different browsers render formatting differently. I've heard IE is horrible with Blogger.

I hope that helps! Oh, and it was perfectly readable to me. Even if you don't figure out the formatting, don't be afraid to add pics anyway. We'll figure it all out :-)

Mook said...

Hey, I love this post, and the fact you have photos in it, and the fact that your text sounds like you've had a few drinks :) Keep 'em coming! M