Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Not cooking

You know how you have days when you just can't fathom having to cook dinner?  Well, I have those days....not too often, but, often enough.  Problem is, there isn't much to be had fast food or take-out wise around here.  At the nearby mall there is a food court, but, it's either nasty fast food burgers, only fish sushi, or meat and potatoes.  And if you can imagine a food court less inviting than the least inviting food court you've ever been in, then you've got what ours is like.  The restaurants don't offer anything for me the vegetarian, they are expensive (a burger, fries, drink meal will run you $20) and it's just plain not worth it!  So, even when I don't feel like cooking, we don't usually go out.

Our one go-to for "not cooking" that we can almost always get is frozen pizza.  That is what we had for dinner tonight.  Usually on Wednesdays my husband plays sports and doesn't get home until 8 or after, so we call it pizza night and I eat when I feel like it, and he eats after he gets home.  Sometimes I have a "don't feel like cooking" night on a weekend too...then we have pizza again. 

I think this might explain why, when we were back in the States during my maternity leave we often ate out or had take-away JUST BECAUSE WE COULD.  You'd think that with all the access to the healthy wonderful food and ingredients that I would be so excited to cook in the States...and I was.  I did my fair share of cooking...but when I was there I was pregnant, having cravings and tired, or, I was a new mom with a newborn...neither situation really lends itself to cooking a lot when take-out or drive through is an option. 

Hopefully, this time while we're back in the States I will do more cooking because of Beni.  If she's not going to eat Taco Bell, then I can't either.  And as much as I adore Taco Bell, I don't think I'm prepared to give it to her just yet. 

Do you love to cook?  How often do you give in to not feeling like it?  What do you eat when you're "not cooking"?

1 comment:

Mook said...

We have pizza night too! Not sure it can be classified as not cooking, though. Every Friday night we watch a movie, all the family, chosen by the boys. We buy pre-made pizza bases and do the toppings ourselves, microwave popcorn, choc tops and coke! How decadent. The boys think it is the greatest thing ever, and I love the fact that we don't have to do much preparation. Good take away is pretty slim pickings in Riga too. We often dream of AFFORDABLE Thai or Chinese or Indian (this is what we usually get as soon as we fly outside Latvia!), wish for KFC, a fish and chip shop, meat pies... the list goes on!