Saturday, March 19, 2011

Saturday Surprise!

We went shopping this morning as we have been doing recently on Saturdays.  We went first to the South African supermart, then to the expensive import store...but then, we also stopped by the other location of the expensive import store (they opened a second store in our neighborhood earlier this year) and look what I found!  THE LAST ONE!  Score!

At the first expensive import store (it's the new location), we also found a new display of bakery goods.  They have always sold fresh bread at both locations, but these sweet goods are a new endeavor.  Those are meant to be chocolate croissants, but we'll see what they're like.  I'm not expecting a true French pain au chocolat.

Being at the grocery store today though reminded me of another thing you have to deal with sometimes here... power cuts!  We were most of the way through the superstore when the power went off.  Remember, this is a huge store with no windows.  So when the power goes out, it's dark!  It was the first time we'd been in the store with Beni while the power went out.  She got a little freaked out and grabbed for me.  But I said something funny and laughed and then she was ok.  We just stayed standing in the spot where we were until the power came back on... it took about five minutes.  Then it came back on, and about 10 seconds later went off again.  Then it came back on again much more quickly and stayed on.

True story, a girlfriend just stopped by while I was writing this post and saw the picture of the sour cream.  She immediately exclaimed, "Where did you get that???"  I told her which store and she was like, "Yes! Ok, good."  And then I had to say, "Sorry, it was the last one."  She was so sad. :(  True story...that's shopping in Luanda!

2 comments:

2shakesofalambstail said...

glad you were able to snag the last sour cream!!!Maybe you can spare a dollop for your friend :)

thats crazy about the power going out... sounds like a good opportunity for pick pocketers!

Mamma M said...

No kidding, Carolyn, as soon as the power went out I said to Joel, "Are you holding on to Beni?" I have no idea how common baby snatching is, but, I don't plan on finding out by not holding on to my baby in the dark. And, awesome daddy that he is, the first thing he did when the power went out was to grab on to her. :)