Friday, April 8, 2011

Awkward interlude to real life

It starts on Sunday.  We'll leave behind the routine and everydayness of life in Angola and set our for new pursuits.  We'll have two weeks of proper vacation- totally relaxed, doing fun stuff, hanging out with family and friends.  But then Joel will leave to come back to Angola to finish up the school year, and Beni and I will stay in Michigan.

We'll be living in a house that isn't ours, surrounded by stuff that isn't ours.  Then we'll be staying with my Dad for a while.  We won't be staying either place for long so we won't buy stuff for the house or even properly fill the cupboards with, well, the stuff I would usually stock my cupboards with.  My husband/Beni's father will be missing while he's back finishing off the school year.  We'll be driving my mom's car.  We will probably establish some sort of routine, because, routine is good for kids, but, it'll all be of our own making- I won't be working at all, or have any real responsibilities outside of just taking care of ourselves.  It'll be like a really long vacation...which sounds lovely... except that there is a sense of being unsettled that comes with it.  We won't have our stuff, we won't have our home- there will be a desire to really settle in, nest, if you will, but, we won't be able to because we have neither the money nor the reason to do so when we'll only be in that place for a little while.  I am incredibly envious of the Kardashians and Kendra who seem to move every few months, and every new place they go to is fully decked out exactly to their own specifications before they even get to the new place.  Man, wouldn't that be nice?

I am really not complaining about this awkward interlude, because we will enjoy it immensely.  I will love seeing my girlfriends and my family.  I will make the most of being in small town America and all the luxuries that go with it.  But still, it's like a long break from real life, if you get what I mean.  It's not bad, but, there is something just unsettled about it.  I know we'll both miss the crap out of Joel, just like we did last year during my maternity leave.    

In July I know we are all super going to enjoy our trip to Latvia, and that will probably fly by because it will only be three weeks, and there will be so much to see and do while we are there.

But I'm pretty sure that once we get to Laos in late July, we'll be pretty glad to be there.  To find our new home, to settle in, to be together, to get back to real life- which is not always as much fun as a long vacation, but, which is somehow reassuring... between nap times and chores and dinner times and long evenings spent watching bad tv and surfing the net... I'm sure we'll be ready for it by the time we get to it. 

No comments: