Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I just can't wait...

  • To go to the grocery store.  I'm looking forward to fresh, ripe (but not over-ripe or rotten) fruit and veggies!  Sweet potatoes, bread and butter pickles, fake chick'n patties (they are my weakness when it comes to meat substitutes)... there are so many other foods I am looking forward to.  The farmer's market near my mom's house should be open fairly soon, and I hope to actually make it there with her once a week. 
  • To go out to eat.  We really miss being able to go to restaurants and have take-out here in Luanda.  It'll be quite a treat to be able to go out.  And the best part is, Beni will be able to sit in a high chair now, and eat real food, so she should be easier to take to a restaurant in general than she was last time we were in the States.  I can't wait to have restaurant breakfast.  I love breakfast out... and there is a place in my mom's town that does AWESOME breakfast.  Can't wait!
  • I am not looking forward to having to reign myself in with all this food.  I REALLY don't want to gain a million pounds while I'm in the States.  
  • So on that note, I am also looking forward to being able to take Beni for walks around the neighborhood, going for runs by myself around the neighborhood, and maybe (I'm not sure about this yet) joining a gym in some capacity to use the machines, or maybe go to some classes.  I'm seriously considering trying Zumba. We'll see.
  • Obviously, this should probably be in the number one spot, but of course, I am really looking forward to being around my family.  I love that Beni will get to spend more time with her grandparents and get to know them better. I am really close to my mom, and I will admit, have a bias toward wanting her to have a great relationship with Beni.  So I am looking forward to them spending a lot of time together. 
  • I am REALLY looking forward to shopping for Beni. She is very near the end of her current wardrobe, and I'm so excited to buy her 12 mos and 18 mos clothes.  Because we'll be leaving the States in July, and not coming back for around a year, I have to buy ahead.  I am going to be living on a budget, so I will have to be a smart shopper, but, I absolutely adore little baby clothes, so I just can't wait to go shopping! 
  • Oh, oh, I am SUPER looking forward to my La Leche League meetings!  I should be able to attend the April, May and June meetings.  The ladies from my meeting have playgroups on the weeks when there isn't a meeting, so maybe we'll go to some of those as well! 
  • I am also looking forward to getting to hang out with my girlfriends and their kids!  It will be fun to see Beni be able to interact with the other kids- obviously, when they last saw her she was still a lump that didn't do much of anything.  And I can't wait to just sit and chat with the ladies. :)
  • I think Joel and I should be able to go to a movie or two.  That will be fun.  We can do that here, but the popcorn isn't as good. :)  In general, with Beni a bit older, and my mom around for babysitting, we should be able to go on a couple dates.  Not sure if they will be afternoon or evening ones, but, one way or another...
  • Oh, I can't wait to drive!  I love driving, and I don't do it here in Luanda.  I will apparently drive in Laos...but I love to drive in the States where I feel comfortable and safe, know what I'm doing, etc.
You know what the funny thing is?  In all the years I have lived abroad (since late 2003), the list of things I look forward to about going home really hasn't changed. :) 

1 comment:

Suzanne :-) said...

Lots of great things! Only a few more days to go :-)