Monday, April 4, 2011

Onion breath

Blah.  I made potato salad yesterday for a BBQ we hosted to say goodbye to our friends here in Luanda.  Long story short, there were lots of finger foods and appetizers, and the mains didn't really get touched.  So I took home a lot of potato salad. 

Backtrack... I made a very simple potato salad- potatoes, boiled eggs, pickles, mustard and mayo.  Oh AND ONIONS.  I chopped them very small, because generally I don't like raw onions.  I don't like them in pretty much anything, potato salad included.  But I wasn't making this just for me, and I think a lot of people like onions in potato salad...so I put them in there.  But I chopped them small so that when I did eat it, maybe the onions would be less offensive to me. 

So, end of the night, and there is a huge bowl of potato salad left.  Absolutely riddled with tiny chopped onions! 

I ate some last night for dinner, and then promptly went seeking ways of getting rid of onion breath (sucking on a lemon was the cure that worked last night).  I ate some more for dinner tonight and with every bite I took I sort of moved the food around in my mouth searching out the onions and spitting them out as much as I could.  I could kick myself for chopping them so small!  And, I'm all out of lemons, so, here I am with my onion breath and nothing super effective to do about it.  Grr.

So I have decided, it just isn't worth making food I don't like...if, rather when, I make potato salad again, I am NOT going to put onions in it!  I do like cooked onions, quite a lot in fact...but raw ones... ugh, no thanks!

What is a food that you just don't ever want to eat again???     

5 comments:

Konica Croft said...

Definitely guacamole!! I helped a friends mom make homemade guacamole for 2000 people. I can barely stand avocado every now and then but no guacamole for me!!

Mamma M said...

Wow. That is a LOT of guac! I can't imagine feeling that way about guacamole...but that is ANOTHER food I hate raw onions in! :)

Jennifer said...

I am right there with you on the onions front. I won't cook with them. The only time I ever did is when I was making that 0-point WW soup. Ugh.

Mook said...

Poppy seed cake. Don't ask :)

Suzanne :-) said...

I can't eat grapes nor drink kiwi watermelon flavored water due to bad morning sickness experiences. Same thing for charcoal-grilled anything.

And I can't eat raw onions because of the things they do to my tummy, but I love cooked onions and can handle them just fine.

Ha ha, word verification--exalase.
Somebody please pass the exalase. I'm going to need it after eating these raw onions!